Thursday 19 November 2009

Van Purchase

After months of deliberating between different vans, I finally decided upon the VW T5. Initially I was looking at converting a SWB Ford Transit or similar as these are a bit cheaper and a bit roomier inside. However, as my Dad pointed out, if I'm going to spend money and time converting a van I'd be better off going for a higher class of vehicle. Also, a converted T5 looks better pulling up on the driveway of my soon to be in-laws! haha.

I'd often drooled over Transporters at numerous campsites when on surf trips. I also realised pretty soon that there is a massive amount of accessories and services available for the VW converter.

So once I'd saved up enough money I went about looking for a van. Ideally I wanted a SWB T5 no older than 2004 with under 50k on the clock, full service history and preferably in Silver or Black.

After a couple of months watching Autotrader etc it became apparent that choosing a van in anything other than white would seriously limit my choice of vehicle. After all, I didn't have lots to spend and didn't want to be stuck with an aesthetically pleasing but poor condition van. Plus, I had seen some photos of white T5's with colour coded bumpers and thought they looked great. Kind of like a white iPod that you can drive!

So here she is:



Dec 2005 SWB T5 T28 with 47k on the clock.

I was really pleased and happily traded in my 3-door Fiesta. I'll be honest though, never having driven a van in my life I was a little unprepared for being handed the keys and driving a large (-er) vehicle. That first drive home was scary but fun at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. So are you not going to say how much it cost you??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. £7300

    I got a full RAC check (with test drive) done on the vehicle before I bought it. Money well spent for peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete