Thursday 19 November 2009

Little extras

Still pretty skint from the van/alarm purchase I went for a few cheap mods on the van this month.

The first was 'Crystal Clear' side repeaters. These were about £12 off eBay. I also bought 2 silver bulbs to go into them (about £4).

A tip for anyone doing this mod: My factory orange repeaters took quite a bit of effort to remove. You need to use a Flathead screwdriver (or similar) to apply pressure to the plastic light casing from the rear of the vehicle. I wrapped a screwdriver in cloth and managed to pop them out but unfortunately made a tiny scuff on the paintwork on one side. Nothing too serious, the scuff is invisible as its in the slot behind the light.

The new repeaters look great and I didn't even change the stock bulbs. The light surrounds themselves cover the bulb and reflect the light in so you don't see it from the outside.

I also added some 16" Wheeltrims to cover the factory wheels. First I cleaned and painted the silver parts of the factory wheels in matte black hammerite. Once this was dry I added the trims (£40 eBay). This made a MASSIVE difference to the look of the van. I will invest in some nice alloys one day but for now this will do. I can't understand why every T5 I see hasn't got trims on. The change to the look of the vehicle far outweighs the cost of the trims!

Here's a shot of the trims I bought.


I thought the large amount of spokes would be better at hiding the factory wheels underneath.

I'll post a shot of them on the van soon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rob,

    Were the trims you bought made to fit a T5? I was looking at some but the seller said that they needed to be a specific type of trim to fit on the van wheel.

    Thanks.

    Karl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i built my own camper same as yours my table in the camper matches the units i used a door from ikea black gloss looks good

    ReplyDelete